Riverside Properties in Maidenhead
Maidenhead is a town and unparished area within the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead, in Berkshire, England. It lies on the River Thames and is situated 25.7 miles (41.4 km) west of Charing Cross in London.
Maidenhead's name, strictly speaking, refers to the busy riverside area where the "New wharf" or "Maiden Hythe" was built, perhaps as early as Saxon times. It has been suggested that the nearby Great Hill of Taplow was called the "Mai Dun" by the Iron Age Brythons. The area of the town centre was originally known as "South Ellington"
In 1280, a bridge was erected across the river to replace a ferry in what was then the hamlet of South Ellington. The Great West Road to Reading, Gloucester and Bristol was diverted over the new bridge - previously it kept to the north bank crossed the Thames by ford at Cookham—and mediaeval Maidenhead grew up around it. Within a few years a wharf was constructed next to the bridge and the South Ellington name was dropped with the area becoming known as Maidenhythe (literally meaning "new wharf"). The earliest record of this name change is in the Bray Court manorial rolls of 1296. The bridge led to the growth of Maidenhead: a stopping point for coaches on the journeys between London and Bath and the High Street became populated with inns. The current Maidenhead Bridge, a local landmark, dates from 1777 and was built at a cost of £19,000.
Maidenhead has a packed event programme all year round with highlights including Maidenhead Carnival, Maidenhead at the movies outdoor cinema and the annual Christmas Lights Switch-on. Regular events include the monthly Farmers’ Markets and visiting French and Italian Markets. A short walk from the town centre takes you to the river with its 18th-century road bridge and Brunel’s famous ‘Sounding Arch’ featured in Turner's painting of ‘Rain, Steam and Speed’. A walk along the riverside offers amazing views of the Thames and great walks towards the villages of Cookham, Marlow; Bray and Windsor and Eton. Boulter’s Lock which was immortalised in Gregory’s 19th-century painting boasts a newly-refurbished restaurant and bar whilst Boulter’s Island remains a firm favourite with its bird aviary, beautiful gardens and great views of Maidenhead weir.